Monday, October 14, 2013

Book Report: The Cask of Amontillado


"The Cask of Amontillado" is probably my favorite Edgar Allan Poe story. I remembered reading it for the first time in ninth grade and feeling a chill as I realized: This is what I've been waiting for. "Amontillado" is a scant eight pages dedicated to the execution of an act of revenge, cruel and premeditated revenge...

I'd read Poe before, of course, memorizing "To Helen" and most of "The Raven"for a presentation in seventh grade, and even though I liked it, Poe didn't strike me so viscerally then. I was obsessed with "Amontillado" for at least a year and strove to achieve the same diabolical effect in my short stories. My English teacher did not love it--she asked me if I might want to consider writing something happier. I replied: I can't write what I don't know and probably gave her one of my dark times looks. So glad I'm not a teenager anymore.


It must be understood that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good will. I continued, as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile now was at the thought of his immolation.            --Edgar Allan Poe



Now's the time to read Poe, I'm telling you.

1. Masked man, by Marco Missiaja; 2. Sunset at the Grand Canal, by Francesco Bini; 3. Doorway in Venice, by Johnny Carr; 4. Dark passage, by Hearts of Glass; 5. Spiral stairs at Corvin Castle, via Socrates Comenius; 6. Skulls in Paris catacombs, via Kiwi Collection; 7. Men's trench, via Lux n Modern; 8. Leather gloves, via Handsome Gentleman; 9. Horsehide boots, via Outbid Auctions; 10. Serpens by Guido Mocafico, via Paranoia Attack; 11. Columbina Piana gold mask; Carta Alta Venetian Masks; 12. Copper hand trowel, via Williams-Sonoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...