Monday, January 9, 2012

how to horcrux


Remember the horcrux necklace I made? Well, I think you should make one too. Everyone should, really.


I started with this ho-hum necklace that I found on clearance at J.C. Penney's. I was thinking the glass "stones" might be cool if there were just one per chain, but I abandoned that for the moment, after finding my horcrux stone. But I'm still thinking about doing something with them, and I do have some recently purchased glow-in-the-dark paint, so...


Anyway, I took this sucker apart. You can see that each of the glass pieces is held in place with a crimp bead on either side. I just cut that with my wire cutters and pulled it off. I liked the idea of knotting the chain to keep my horcrux in place and--what luck!--that worked. If you're going to knot your chain, make sure that you measure and place your stone precisely, otherwise it'll be lopsided. And no one wants an inexact horcrux dangling from their neck.


It still needed a little something, so I added this charm. 
(Pst...I found this charm at Kit Kraft in Studio City, CA. We sisters are big fans.)




I love it because the stone looks like it contains a galaxy in miniature.
Oh, and the stone I used for my horcrux isn't a stone at all! It's glittering glass, a blue goldstone, to be exact, which sounds misleading, I know. Goldstones are manmade; minerals and chemical elements are melted down and then oxygen is removed, allowing the crystals to re-solidify. The process is explained quite well here. I purchased my blue goldstone for $3.50 at Beyond Beads in North Spokane.


I'm quite certain your horcrux is awaiting discovery.


In the interest of keeping my super-nerd bases covered, I should probably say here that I do understand
 the purpose of the horcrux is, in some ways, defeated by keeping it on my person. I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...